Monday, July 6, 2009

The Music

So I got REALLY behind in my posting because we have been so busy in Vienna, Paris, and Dublin. I’m writing this now from surreal Amsterdam.

Vienna is full of the arts. However, the one thing that stands out in everything that is built and done in this city is that it was the birth place of Mozart and where he spent his formative years. This place screams baroque style. Alex and I are both music fans so we thought we should check out a concert. We attended a concert performance of several of Hayden and Mozarts works, as well as some operetta’s in the concert hall in Stadtpark. Believe it or not, I know a bit about classical music and I’m a fan. However, I have always prefered music from the romantic era (Beethoven etc…). I usually just dismiss Baroque music as chamber music. This changed my mind.
I love the fact that musicians can put together a group like this and make a living entirely from playing music. It shows how dedicated the Austrians are to their music. I have often wondered what german speaking people watched for movies or TV. The quality of their movies seems pretty bad, and it must suck to watch movies in English or with subtitles. But I think the answer to my question is in what a Viennese person might ask an American. What do you watch for Opera, ballet, and orchestra?.. All of your artists are unpractised, and unrefined… It’s a matter of perspective. Vienna State Opera: Sufficed to say Vienna is probably the birth place of the opera art form. It definitely has the most renouned opera house in the world and hosts the biggest opera performances in the world. This opera house runs all but 2 months of the year and has an annual budget of 100 million dollars. The scale of this thing is mind blowing. We didn’t take in any performances, but we did take a tour of the opera house as they were setting up the stage for the nights performance. So much history here! Not many people can say they toured the Vienna state opera and witnessed the behind the scenes goings on. It was a privelege to be among the seats of kings and queens of bygone era’s as well. To see the stage as they saw it and imagine how Mozart’s Opera’s musthave looked and sounded to them when they were performed for the first time.
Empress Marie theresa and her husband the Roman Emporers private sitting area...


Breathtaking...

No comments:

Post a Comment