Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wienerland

Vienna:



When we arrived in the Wien it was a little cooler then Croatia. It was a nice change. The entire time we were there it alternated between being sunny cloudy and sometimes short spurts of rain. I could have cared less. This city is AMAZING! The feel of the city can be described easily as baroque. This is evident in the architecture and the nostaligic presence here. I feel like I’m living in the age of Mozart here. Like I should have a painted face while dancing around a chamber organ while sipping tea and wearing one of those wigs, and velvet chaps.



But there is more to this city. Its so friendly and convenient. Lets start with the train that goes straight from the airport downtown. This was a definite convenience. It made my day since we had just come off a terrible SkyEurope flight which was delayed 5 hours.

Incidentally, I’m writing this from a Niki Air flight to Paris which is nothing but comfortable, pleasant, roomy, on time, and convenient… We even got a meal!

Everyone was friendly. The friendliness started when I needed to charge my phone on the way to the hotel in order to find it and I was welcomed to use the elctricity in a café where I asked for directions. It continued when people stopped us and offered assistance if we were ever confused. This was rare beecause we were offered maps and directions at the airport and at our hotel. The subway system was totally convenient and we got to everywhere we needed to go.

We had a busy few days here because we only had a short stay but we saw a lot. We experienced the music, the atmosphere, the coffee, the beer, and the history. Vienna is great if you love architecture, if you love the arts, if you love food, or even if you just wanna shop. This is just a really amazing city with really great things to do and see. It’s not a tourist trap and you won’t be overcharged for anything. The people are just genuinely pleasant. I think because they are living genuinely happy and satisfying lives. I practiced my german just a little bit here. But mostly people saw my english coming a mile away and were more then willing to practice their english on me. We always eventually came to an understanding.

Most of all, we had FUN here...






Side note: If one more person charges me money in order to pee, I’m going to pee on them…

No comments:

Post a Comment