Thursday, June 18, 2009

Have my bread and drink it too...


Catholics and Nazi's and beer... Oh my!



Munich was definately cool. Its the most Italian city north of the Alps. Everyone I talked to there insisted on the fact that they were Bavarians before they were Germans. Little factoid; Germany is younger then Canada. It was formerly a whole bunch of different kingdoms. Much like Italy, they are all very distinct in their culture, style, and dialect. Munich is kind of the mother of Germany and Berlin is the bratty kid. The Nazi movement was born in Munich, but Berlin took over from therre and did all the damage. Everything in Munich is old, but really well kept. There are no skyscrapers due to an ordinance saying that no building can be taller then the tallest Catholic church. Lots of history and plenty of style. Bavarians are a really laid back people and the city is really modest despite all it has going for it.

Munich is another one of these cities that was voted the number one city to live in. Im starting to wonder how many of these awards are being given away. I only saw one homeless person though and nothing smelled like pee... Yay! Everrything there smelled great actually, it was weird. Especially the people. Even the guy on the metro with dreads that I cringed at when he sat beside me smelled nice. A pleasant surprise.

I met a bunch of people at the hostel I was staying at and we went for a long walkabout to see everything. After I took this video we stripped to our undies and did this too. It looked like too much fun to pass up.




I'll write more... boarding for Croatia now...

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment