Sunday, June 21, 2009

We the People of the United Nations



Flashback to Zagreb.

So I didn’t see anything of Zagreb. The airport was pretty old school. Brought me back to the seventies. Another thing that shouldn’t change about Croatia. There is a sort of Arrested Development here. In some areas things are so out dated that they have swung right back to being exotic. I’m not talking about the really historic and ancient stuff. That stands on its own merit. I’m talking about the airport that made me want to watch a Godfather movie again and the coca-cola tables and chairs in the café’s. I hope they never feel the need to change these things. It’s part of the charm.

This memorial was erected in this big beautiful park in front of Zagreb airport. It was for the United Nations soldiers who gave their lives peace keeping here during the war. They have little globes planted everywhere to reference this memorial and serve as a reminder to everyone. The country is still rapidly building even after all these years, but they have purposely left mortar damage and ruins in places to serve as a reminder as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment